Dreamscapes Travel & Lifestyle

Winter 2017/2018

Dreamscapes Travel & Lifestyle Magazine

Issue link: http://read.dreamscapes.ca/i/905839

Contents of this Issue


Page 25 of 79

DREAMSCAPES WINTER 2017/2018 26 T he lyrics of the 1957 golden oldie by the Four Preps played on in my head as we sped across open waters on board the Catalina Express ferry toward the port of Avalon on Catalina Island, California. Once we had settled into our comfortable seats in the Commodore Lounge, a server came to take our order from the bar. Our tickets in the Commodore Lounge entitled us to preferred boarding privileges and a complimentary beverage. Within minutes, our mimosas appeared along with a salty snack. All we had to do was sit back and enjoy the view from our expansive window seats for the hour-long trip. Covering 194.2 square kilometres, Catalina Island is home to 4,800 residents, about 4,000 of whom live in Avalon on the east coast with the remaining 800 living in the interior and in Two Harbors on the west end. Island residents may own their homes or units, but not the land. The Catalina Island Company owns and leases all real estate (including boat moorings); operates sightseeing tours; owns and operates a campground and a few hotels; runs the only gas station in Avalon; and manages a plan- ning department and corporate offices that keep all its operations going on just 12 per cent of the land. The remaining 88 per cent of the island is governed by the Catalina Island Conser- vancy, established in 1972 by the Wrigley and Offield families. Its mandate is to main- tain a balance of conservation, education and recreation, which includes ensuring 150 American bison, descendants of the 14 brought in for the motion picture, The BY DONNA S. VIEIRA "TWENTY-SIX MILES ACROSS THE SEA SANTA CATALINA IS A-WAITIN' FOR ME SANTA CATALINA, THE ISLAND OF ROMANCE ROMANCE, ROMANCE, ROMANCE . . ." Hollywood's MAGIC ISLE

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Dreamscapes Travel & Lifestyle - Winter 2017/2018