Dreamscapes Travel & Lifestyle

Winter/Spring 2024

Dreamscapes Travel & Lifestyle Magazine

Issue link: http://read.dreamscapes.ca/i/1515074

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 48 of 71

WINTER/SPRING 2024 DREAMSCAPES 49 PHOTOS: ARIETE HOSPITALITY GROUP | VISIT ORLANDO | MILA | JIM BAMBOULIS | THE SURF CLUB RESTAURANT/DEBORAH JONES passion to unite people through food. Intrigued, I bite into the moist, Florida-orange-shaped foie gras surrounded by cocoa nibs, and watch in awe, salivating as 14-day dry aged canard a la presse is prepared seamlessly tableside. In Miami Beach, I take a short elevator ride to the sen- sory overload that is the stunning Michelin-recommended Mila restaurant. Inspired by their travels, owners Greg and Marine Galy looked to interior designer Olya Volkova to bring their rooftop eatery to life, evident through wood- carved artwork and lush foliage at every turn. Michelin-starred chef Michaël Michaelidis features a divine, "MediterrAsian-inspired" menu that is served Japanese izakaya style. While the robata-grilled lamb kofte takes me nostalgically back to my Greek roots, the madai sashimi with jalapeno dressing and tuna tartare with avo- cado miso put me in a contented, even eudaimonic state. Further north, the infamous Surf Club Restaurant is led by acclaimed Chef Thomas Keller, holder of seven Michelin stars. Intimate and private, this vintage Art Deco hangout inspires me to channel my inner celebrity, and blissfully enjoy continental classics including French onion dip with kettle chips, jumbo crab cake with spicy mayo, and the ribeye steak. For dessert, a whisky tumbler of 12-year-old Glenfiddich, of course. ORLANDO'S LATIN-INFUSED FLAVOURS For decades, Orlando has been considered by some as the "Theme Park Capital of the World," and while that's still the case, the city is increasingly inspiring visitors to take a deeper look, beyond its expected thrills. That's especially true when it comes to Orlando's evolving, diverse and deli- cious food scene. After all, its close proximity to the Atlantic and Gulf coasts makes it a natural foodie destina- tion, and in turn, has beckoned internationally-inspired top chefs to elevate Orlando to Michelin star status. Away from Orlando's theme parks, I discover the Lake Nona neighbourhood. The trendy community is home to public artwork, parks and hiking trails, including a weekly artisan and farmers' market. It's also my dining stop. I head to the Michelin-recommended BACÁN, the signature restaurant of the new Lake Nona Wave Hotel. The colourful vibrant space is complemented with a contemporary menu of tropical influences from Central and South America. My Old Fashioned, infused with Coconut Cartel Rum from Guatemala and xocolatl mole bitters inspired from Mexico, whets my appetite. I anxiously bite into butter-smooth scallops a la plancha with smoked roe, and lobster and bur- rata tostadas with passion fruit and toasted pepitas. Ignoring my full stomach, I opt for the succulent skirt steak with nutty, tangy tomato-based romesco sauce. For dessert, a chocolate sphere is melted over a rich chocolate brownie tableside, and I unabashedly devour the whole thing. On another occasion, I'm across town, atop the luxu- rious Four Seasons Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort as whizzing rollercoasters and Epcot's iconic geodesic sphere are heard and seen in the distance. Malyna Si of Capa, Cen- tral Florida's only female chef, leads a Michelin-starred restaurant at this posh property. Romantic, spacious yet LONDON GASTROPUB WITH SOUTHERN TWISTS Part gastropub, part brewery and part beer garden, the Bib Gourmand-awarded Ravenous Pig in Winter Park is the first of three establishments from James Beard Foundation semi-finalists and husband-and-wife duo, James and Julie Petrakis. Nothing says traditional gastropub with a southern flair quite like a pub burger, truffle fries, and a craft pint with a side order of baked cheese grits and mushroom/gruyere beignets.

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Dreamscapes Travel & Lifestyle - Winter/Spring 2024